Saturday, May 19, 2018

Kickstarter... WHY?!?!???


https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/tommycannonaz/fred-the-mustard-packet-does-the-scottish-play-in?ref=user_menu

So, we've kickstarted a Kickstarter campaign to print the graphic novel Fred the Mustard Packet Does the Scottish Play. The link to the campaign is just above this paragraph. Why are we doing this? We are doing this, because I love comedy.

Comic. Comic Strip. Stand Up Comic. Comic Actor. Comic Book.

I want to slam the COMIC back into 'Comic Book'.

Don't get me wrong. I love superheroes, sci-fi, and horror. But, comedy is what drew me into the game to begin with.

As a young boy, I wanted to be a circus clown who drew coloring books for the circus souvenir stand.  I made my first joke when I was three. I put black gloves on my feet and told my mom that I was a gorilla. Genius.

In the ancient 1980s, my family had a costume trunk. In that trunk was a purple jester hat. When I put that hat on, I knew what kind of a creature I was... I was a comedian. I remember getting into comic books with Daffy Duck, Bullwinkle, and Jughead. Later, I got into MAD and fell in love with Antonio Prohias, Don Martin, and Sergio Aragones. So, drawing and comedy have been with me early on.

And, it continues. Sure, I'm not a clown, but I do improv shows and puppet shows with great frequency. I don't draw coloring books, but I draw comics. And, I illustrate a diverse range of different projects. I remind myself of my early clown dreams by wearing brightly colored Chuck Taylor Converse sneakers as often as possible. They are very similar to clown shoes.

Yes, I've read a good number of 'X-Men' and 'Swamp Thing' comics, but they don't hold a grip on my heart like 'Porky Pig' did.

I'm doing this to put comedy on our bookshelves and in our libraries.

I'm doing this because we all want to see Miss Piggy karate chop Iron Fist.

Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment